Medicaid provides free or low-cost health coverage to millions of low-income Americans. Like other health insurance plans, Medicaid can help pay for doctor’s visits, hospital expenses, long-term care, and more.
To be eligible for coverage, you must:
- Be a United States citizen or meet Medicaid citizenship requirements*
- Have or get a Social Security number
- Be an Ohio resident
- Meet financial requirements
Financial requirements vary by program and population. The best way to see if you meet financial requirements is to check your eligibility with a few quick questions.
* Non-U.S. citizens may also be eligible for Alien Emergency Medical Assistance or Refugee Medical Assistance.
Return to Routine Operations
Please note that in late 2022, the U.S. Congress passed legislation that effectively ended the continuous coverage rules for Medicaid. The continuous coverage requirement was a federal law enacted in 2020 that required Cuyahoga Job and Family Services not to disenroll anyone from Medicaid benefits unless they voluntarily requested coverage be discontinued or moved out of the state of Ohio.
Due to this change, beginning with April 2023 renewals, CJFS will determine if individuals meet income and other eligibility standards, which may include discontinuing Medicaid coverage for individuals who are no longer eligible. Click here to view Frequently Asked Questions about this change.
Ways to Renew Medicaid Coverage
Once you are approved for Medicaid, you must renew your coverage every year. You will receive a notice each year with further instructions when it's time for you to renew.
Customers who wish to renew their Medicaid benefits DO NOT need to call or complete an interview. If you receive a Medicaid Renewal form, you can complete it and send it back to us in one of the following ways:
- Mail: 1641 Payne Ave., Cleveland, OH 44114
- Email: Take a digital picture of the completed form. (A picture of each page is required.) and email it as an attachment to CJFSDocs@jfs.ohio.gov
- Fax: 216-987-7700
- Drop box: Drop the documents off at the secure drop-box at any of these sites:
|Virgil E. Brown |
1641 Payne Ave.
Cleveland, OH 44114
9830 Lorain Ave.
Cleveland, OH 44102
8111 Quincy Ave.
Cleveland, OH 44104
|Jane Edna Hunter |
3955 Euclid Ave.
Cleveland, OH 44115
|Old Brooklyn |
4261 Fulton Pkwy
Cleveland, OH 44144
*Drop-off only! No Forms available on-site.
|Mt. Pleasant |
13815 Kinsman Rd.
Cleveland, OH 44120
Customers may call the eligibility contact center at 1-844-640-OHIO (6446) to complete the Medicaid Renewal over the phone. Select the telephone option to Renew Medicaid Benefits.
The Process for Applying
- Apply online
- Call 844-640-OHIO (6446), Mon – Fri 8am to 4pm
- Visit your local library for help applying online, by phone, or by fax
- In-person at a Neighborhood Family Service Center